The Royal Thai Embassy in Washington began its operation in 1901 as the Legation of Siam (the name of Thailand then) with Minister Plenipotentiary as Chief of Mission. Its first office was located in Arlington, Virginia, before moving to Washington, D.C., in 1913. While in Washington, D.C., the Office was relocated several times, until the Royal Thai Government acquired a plot of land at 2300 Kalorama Road in 1920. By 1921 a new office was built on the said plot which served at the Embassy for 46 years, until 1993. In 1947, the Chief of Mission was elevated to the Ambassadorial level.
With the increase in the number offices affiliated with the Embassy, it became necessary to acquire a new building. Therefore, in 1990, the Royal Thai Government purchased the present premises at 1024 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., to accommodate all offices but one under the auspices of the Royal Thai Government. The extensive renovations were completed in 1993 and the Royal Thai Embassy and its affiliated offices opened the operation in this five-story building since then. Currently, the building houses the following offices :-
1. Foreign Affairs and Consular Office
2. Office of the Defense Attache
3. Office of the Naval Attache
4. Office of the Air Attache
5. Office of Commercial Affairs
6. Office of Economic and Financial Affiars
7. Office of Agricultural Affairs
8. Office of Science and Technology
The Office of Educational Affairs remain at its current address at 1906 23rd Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008.
* : About Embassy